Help with a PCMCIA NTT-ME 11Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card (prism 1 )

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sun Feb 10 21:07:48 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 01:44 +0000, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:

> my issue is that using the hostap_cs module, the card is not detected at
> all, nothing, even the modules says its unused:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> hostap_cs              44340  0 (unused)
> hostap                 88712  0 [hostap_cs]

I think you'll need to add an entry for your card to /etc/pcmcia/config
to bind it to hostap_cs (or make a separate *.conf file in /etc/pcmcia
for local changes).

> So I try using the orinoco_cs modules, and this is what I get:
>
> 	GetNextTuple().  No matching CIS configuration, maybe you need the
> 	ignore_cis_vcc=1 parameter.
> 	orinoco_cs: GetFirstTuple: No more items
>
> so I try with ignore_cis_vcc=1 and I get the following:
>
> 	hermes @ IO 0x100: Timeout waiting for card to reset (reg=0x8000)!
> 	eth1: failed to initialize firmware (err = -110)
> 	orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed
>
> and dmesg gives me this:
>
> 	hermes @ IO 0x100: Timeout waiting for card to reset (reg=0x8000)!
> 	eth1: failed to initialize firmware (err = -110)
> 	orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed
> 	orinoco_lock() called with hw_unavailable (dev=c056c000)

This looks like a genuine problem with the voltage.  Maybe the card
needs 3.3V, but the socket can only provide 5V?

> The machine is a Texas instruments Extensa Pentium 1 75MHz with 8MB RAM.

It's quite possible that such old hardware has issues with 3.3V cards.
Then hostap_cs is unlikely to work.

And if it's really "prism 1", I doubt it will work with either driver.
Both Orinoco and HostAP support Prism 2, 2.5 and 3.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin