Compiling hostapd from git with libnl also from git...

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Dec 8 15:44:17 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 11:25:36AM -0500, john dowd wrote:
> I've downloaded the latest from both git repositories. I'm able to
> compile the libnl library (which would not be your problem anyways)
> but when I try to compile the hostapd daemon I get the following
> errors:

> driver_nl80211.c:2036: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'nl_handle_alloc_cb'
> driver_nl80211.c:2047: error: too few arguments to function
> 'genl_ctrl_alloc_cache'
> driver_nl80211.c:2482: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'nl_handle_destroy'

> Now an "objdump" on the normal libnl libraries (normal meaning, what
> came with my distro) show that these symbols exist. A search through
> the libnl git code show's they don't exist. Is there a particular
> version that I have download?

The latest release (libnl 1.1) seems to work fine. It looks like 2.0 (or
at least the current git tree) will bring in some incompatible changes
that are difficult to handle automatically.. For now, I added a
configuration option (CONFIG_LIBNL20=y in .config) that can be used to
build against the current libnl git snapshot. This compiles fine (well,
after resolving couple of libnl build issues), but I have not tested
whether the code actually works.