Can't connect to AP

Gaonkar, Kedar kgaonkar at qualcomm.com
Fri May 18 17:28:00 EDT 2007

I've been trying to connect to an AP running hostapd through a wpa_supplicant by using WPA-PSK. My hardware setup includes:
 CLIENT:
 Linux Suse 9.3 box, with DLink DWL-G650 Card (Atheros chipset) with Madwifi driver ver. 0.9.3. Its given a static IP of 10.0.0.55 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
 wpa_supplicant.conf (ver. 0.5.7):

 ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
 ctrl_interface_group=0
 eapol_version=1
 ap_scan=1
 fast_reauth=1

 network={
         ssid="eap"
         proto=RSN
         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
         pairwise=CCMP
         group=CCMP
         psk="secretpass"
         priority=2
 }

 AP:
 Linux Suse 10.2 box, with DLink DWL-G650 Card (Atheros chipset) with Madwifi driver ver. 0.9.3. Its given a static IP of 10.0.0.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

 hostapd.conf:

 interface=ath0
 bridge=br0
 driver=madwifi
 logger_syslog=-1
 logger_syslog_level=2
 logger_stdout=-1
 logger_stdout_level=2
 debug=0
 dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
 ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
 ctrl_interface_group=0
 ssid=My_Secure_WLAN
 #macaddr_acl=1
 #accept_mac_file=/etc/hostapd/accept
 auth_algs=3
 eapol_key_index_workaround=0
 eap_server=0
 wpa=1
 wpa_passphrase=secretpass
 wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
 wpa_pairwise=CCMP

 I first setup my card in AP mode at host.
 wlanconfig ath0 destroy
 wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
 iwconfig ath0 mode Master
 iwconfig ath0 essid eap

 Then, setup the bridge
 ifconfig eth 0 0.0.0.0 up
 ifconfig ath 0 0.0.0.0 up
 brctl addbr br0
 brctl addif br0 eth0
 brctl addif br0 ath0

 The hostapd is then started at the AP, and then the wpa_supplicant is started.

 However, the wpa_supplicant doesnt detect any suitable AP. When it detects 'eap' it gives an error : "skip RSN IE - parse failed"

 Am I doing something wrong?

 Thanks in advance!