TX rate changes in a non-AP mode

Vinayak Naik naik at cens.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 17 20:51:25 EST 2007

Hi,

>From a previous posting by Jouni
(http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2005-August/011032.html), I
realize that the hostap driver adapts TX rate. But the adaptation is
done only in the AP mode.

We are using the driver (3.7) in psuedo_ibss mode on a SMC 2532W-B
card. But we are still seeing that the TX rate changes. I understand
that the firmware may also adapt the rate. By looking at
"/proc/net/hostap/wlan0/debug", I confirmed that the firmware is not
in-charge of the rate control.

So what could be the reason behind the rate change? Could it be the
case that the firmware, even though it is not in-charge of the rate
control, changes the TX rate in pseudo_ibss mode?

Thanks,

- Vinayak