timeout var for conf file?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Feb 13 22:26:44 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 12:44:10AM -0330, Craig Harding wrote:

> Hi, I have multiple networks in my conf file and I was wondering if there is
> a timeout variable that I can put in my network { } directive so that I can
> specify certain timeouts (in seconds) for certain networks. For example if I
> know I will defintely not connect to my highest priority network in my conf
> file (because I am hundreds of miles away) it will take approximately 30
> seconds (I'm guessing) to try to associate with that SSID and then it will
> try the next network and then next network (and so on) until it connects
> successfully, giving a long timeout for each separate network..

No, there is no option for doing this in the current code. I would
assume you are using ap_scan=2(?) With ap_scan=1, wpa_supplicant would
request scan result and select AP from the list of available APs without
having to try each network block separately. It may help in this kind of
case (but then again, ap_scan=2 is better for some other cases).

Setting the timeout to a lower value in ap_scan=2 may not be desirable
in general, since some cards take very long time ito associate. Still,
it might indeed be useful to allow this to be configured since at least
one of the timeouts could be overly long (60 seconds) for some cases.