Where to start?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Feb 10 22:58:36 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 06:53:41PM +0100, haldor wrote:

> I want to download the latest firmware to my mini pci card, but when i
> type
>
> [root at blubb 1.7.4]#  prism2_srec -v eth3 pk010101.hex sf010704.hex
> Could not read wlan PDA. This requires PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT
> definition in driver/module/hostap_config.h.

This message is getting bit obsolete.. It is referring to the external
Host AP driver source code package and is not the best way of doing this
with the version included in the current Linux 2.6.x kernel versions. It
should now be possible to enable firmware download in kernel
configuration (CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE=y and
CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE_NVRAM=y in .config).

> I guess the downloaded hostap driver package just is the same as i the
> kernel sources, so i stayes with the kernel sources.

It is not; the external package is older. Only the version included in
the kernel source should be used with current 2.6.x kernels.

> there i find the following files
>
> hostap_cs.ko  hostap.ko  hostap_pci.ko  hostap_plx.ko
>
> In this directory, i typed
>
> # modprobe ./hostap.ko
>
> but i says
>
> FATAL: Module ./hostap.ko not found.

modprobe tries to load the module automatically. If you want to force a
specific module file to be loaded, you would need to use insmod instead.