wpasupplicant and multiple/hidden SSIDs

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Dec 7 20:26:34 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:09:17PM -0800, Dave Hansen wrote:

> Yeah, wpasupplicant doesn't try to associate because it sees that the
> scan_ssid=1 network is a WPA network, yet the APs don't advertise WPA.

They must advertise WPA at some point if you manage to connect with
ap_scan=2.. wpa_supplicant will try to scan for the specific SSID if
scan_ssid=1 is used in ap_scan=1 mode. If the driver supports this and
works correctly, it would include that WPA network in the scan results
and wpa_supplicant would then try to connect to it.

Is the hidden network visible in scan results when scan_ssid=1 is used?
wpa_supplicant will alternate the scans between broadcast SSID and the
SSID. I would be interested in seeing whether the scan results for the
specific SSID show the WPA/RSN IE correctly or not.