feisty atheros and wpa

ico at vt.edu ico at vt.edu
Fri Aug 31 22:26:11 EDT 2007

Quoting Ramesh R <rramesh_1 at yahoo.com>:

> Ivica,
>
> The easiest way to dig & find out as to what goes on
> is to use a laptop with airopeek or kismet installed.
> I suspect the key exchanges, check the EAPOL-Key
> exchanges between the AP & the station. As a first
> step, see if the authentication sequence is complete.
>
> For WPA-PSK you should see an auth req & auth response
> followed by an association req. & association resp.
> The key exchanges start & totally you should see 6
> EAPOL-Key Frames between the AP & the station for a
> WPA-PSK based auth. setting.
>
> Cheers
> /R

Ramesh,

Many thanks for your feedback. In the meantime I've done some more digging and
found out the following:

If I make my AP's ESSID visible (and leave everything else the same--WPA+WPA2,
TKIP+AES, etc.), connection works perfectly. However, as soon as I make ESSID
invisible, connection becomes near impossible

That being said, even if ESSID is invisible, if I start wpa_supplicant manually
with a config file which includes ap_scan=2 and scan_ssid=1 in about 50% of
connections wpa_supplicant shows successful handshake via -dd output (although
this way for some reason I still cannot connect to the internet--likely due to
concurrent nm-applet, wicd or roaming mode). If this method starts to fail
consistently, rmmod and modprobe of the ath_pci usually restores the 50/50
chances of successful handshake.

I haven't been able to use wicd since it apparently has ap_scan=1 and
scan_ssid=0 hardwired in its code (at least judging from my brief study of the
code). OTOH nm-applet has a very funky behavior where if I start wpasupplicant
before starting nm-applet, nm-applet's wpasupplicant fails to start (since my
instance already creates /var/run/wpasupplicant hook) or at least becomes less
relevant for some reason. At this point I have 2 instances of wpa_supplicant
running and if my "manual" version manages to connect and I keep trying to
reconnect via nm-applet, eventually I'll get connected, but only for a few
seconds. Then I get disconnected again. When I was observing PID's of the
manual and nm-applet's wpasupplicant, it appears that I get disconnected as
soon as the PID of nm-applet's wpasupplicant becomes higher than that of the
manual instance (apparently because according to nm-applet successful connect
was never made so it is likely restarting its own instance of wpasupplicant
which is therefore getting newer and consequently higher PID). This may be
because how nm-applet appears to be looking for wpasupplicant's PID in order to
interface with it in a way that it always picks the last found PID in the
process table which would explain this rather odd behavior.

Finally, if I let the nm-applet take over the /var/run/wpasupplicant hook so
that I cannot spawn my own manual concurrent version of wpasupplicant, and I
still keep trying to spawn it nonetheless (it will tell me that there is a hook
in place and will therefore exit), sometimes it seems that I get lucky enough to
provide (in this brief moment in which the instance was attempting to spawn)
nm-applet with correct settings and therefore making it successfully connect to
the router.

Very bizarre...

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!