WPA Service: Add a Service Description?

George S. Lockwood gslockwood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 23:08:30 EDT 2006

Jouni,

The following code will add a desciption to the service.  Put it in
just before you start closing handles: as in: before
	CloseServiceHandle(svc);

static int register_service(const TCHAR *exe)
{
	SC_HANDLE svc, scm;
	SERVICE_DESCRIPTION ServiceDescription;    //<----new
.
.
.
	ServiceDescription.lpDescription = SERVICE_DESCRIPTION_TEXT;
	if( !ChangeServiceConfig2(
		svc,                 // handle to service
		SERVICE_CONFIG_DESCRIPTION, // change: description
		&ServiceDescription ) )                   // value: new description
	{
		printf("ChangeServiceConfig2 failed\n");
	}
	else
	{
		printf("ChangeServiceConfig2 succeeded\n");
	}

define SERVICE_DESCRIPTION_TEXT in build_config.h as:

#define SERVICE_DESCRIPTION_TEXT TEXT("This is the abcxyz
Wpa_supplicant based Wireless connection Service")

works!

george