WPA Service: Add a Service Description?

George S. Lockwood gslockwood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:06:59 EDT 2006

Any chance of moving the:

#define SERVICE_NAME_A
#define SERVICE_NAME
#define DISPLAY_NAME

into the build_config.h file?

and adding a #define DISPLAY_DESCRIPTION

adding code in for a main_winmain.c to set this description string?

I believe code similiar to the following would work:

/*
    'To change the description, create an instance of the SERVICE_DESCRIPTION
    'structure and set the lpDescription member to your desired description.
*/
    ServiceDescription.lpDescription = _
      "This is my custom description for my Windows Service Application!"

/*
    'Call ChangeServiceConfig2 with SERVICE_CONFIG_DESCRIPTION in the second
    'parameter and the SERVICE_DESCRIPTION instance in the third parameter
    'to update the description.
*/
    bChangeServiceConfig2 = ChangeServiceConfig2(iServiceHandle, _
    modAPI.InfoLevel.SERVICE_CONFIG_DESCRIPTION, ServiceDescription)

this would follow your recent paradigm choice of separating custom
settings of to the build_config.h file and well the description would
be a wonderful enhancement!

thanks so much,