hostap support for my card ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Oct 1 11:30:20 EDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 02:10:24PM +0000, ronald warsow wrote:

> that card is able to act as an ap, but wep only.
> and
> this is the part from the site (just above download)
> Supported wireless cards/drivers
>       * Host AP driver for Prism2/2.5/3
>       * madwifi (Atheros ar521x)
>       * Prism54.org (Prism GT/Duette/Indigo)

_One_ version of Prism54 driver worked with hostapd. If I understood
correctly, the version in the kernel tree may not work. This issue has
come up before, but so far, I have not seen anyone who would be
interested in making the driver work. As long as this continues, I would
not expect much luck with the latest Prism54 drivers when tried with
hostapd. I'll try to remember to update the hostapd web page by adding
something along lines "used to work with a version; may not work with
current versions".

> the driver works, but i want/need wpa.

Just for AP mode?

> so i came to hostap and as stated above: hostap has(???) driver support
> for prism54 cards, but i can't get it running...

Please note that "hostap" for me means the Prism2/Prism2.5/Prism3
_driver_ and it most certainly does not support Prism54. hostapd is the
user space program that supports a version of Prism54 _driver_.

> this card is *one* of the few which is in the kernel tree, but - it
> seems to me - without the full support of all features.

Yes, that is seems to be the case.

> under shitty M$ i have wpa support, under linux - again it's ~ 2 years
> in the kernel tree - *not*.

Does Microsoft driver for that card really support AP mode in WPA mode?