ndiswrapper/ wireless-tools, wpa_supplicant question

Bodo von Thadden bvthadden at gmx.de
Sat Mar 4 10:37:59 EST 2006

http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/hostap/wpa_supplicant/examples/wpa-psk-tkip.conf?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

> If just doing an ifconfig wlan0 up and starting wpa_supplicant like
>
> wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w -Dndiswrapper -dd
>
> I NEVER get an successfull association.
>
> If using iwconfig wlan0 essid RNS2 and doing as quickly as possible the
> wpa_supplicant comannd, I may be lucky and get the stuff done.
>
> Then I can background the process and do my dhcpcd wlan0 stuff.
>
> It seems that wpa_supplicant has some problems with the association
> process. I do not know, if this is wpa_supplicant related or
> ndiswrapper/wireless-tools. But because I can have success and even
> changed the windows drivers from NetGear to RTL8187 on ndiswrapper, I
> believe the root of these problems might be a bug in wpa_supplicant.
> Maybe some timing problems??
>
> See the attahced files please.
>
> If you could help me with this, I would be really happy  ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Christian
>
> N.B.: I am running a stable Gentoo release. Everything was compiled with
> CFLAGS="-O0 -march=i686"
>

> --
> Tel.: 0641-2097252, Mobil: 0171-3611230
> PGP: http://www.roessner-net.com/0x6B929997.asc

 Tach Christian,

I also use the Netgear WG111v2 and the router is also from Netgear. I also
use Gentoo Linux ;-) Yes, there is indeed a problem with the timeout &
ndiswrapper.
But it works fine here, on my system. Even at bootup it's connect to the
router (most of the time - but some times I get also a timeout). But I get
it connect, if I do it manuell. I have set the time-out high, to about 5
min.
This is my /etc/conf.d/net :

modules=("wpa_supplicant")
iwconfig_wlan0="essid NETGEAR"
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dndiswrapper"
wpa_timeout_wlan0=360
config_wlan0=("192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0")
routes_wlan0=("default gw 192.168.0.1")

It should work. I use ndiswrapper version 1.10 and wpa_supplicant version
0.48.

Greetings from Braunschweig
Bodo