wpa_supplicant socket error

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Jun 10 11:29:11 EDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 03:29:21PM +0200, Fabio Sangiovanni wrote:

> I think the problem is in the line:
>
> socket(PF_PACKET): Address family not supported by protocol
>
> There seems to be a kernel-related issue that I couldn't be able to fix.

Yes, this is indeed related to kernel configuration. This indicates that
wpa_supplicant was unable to open a packet socket for receiving EAPOL
frames. Most likely, your kernel is built without support for packet
sockets. This is CONFIG_PACKET option in kernel .config file ("Packet
socket" in network configuration).