Using wpa_supplicant with rt2500 driver for auto-roaming

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Jul 30 13:21:06 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 01:07:38AM -0500, John Buttery wrote:

>   Anyway, I want to make sure I'm using wpa_supplicant for something
> it's even intended to do in the first place, before I put any more
> effort into trying to make it work.  I have a wifi card in my laptop
> now, that works fine.  I originally installed waproamd because I wanted
> to set it up so that my wireless networking would automatically bring
> itself up as I roamed between different access points (both open-access
> ones, and protected ones for which I have keys/passphrases).

You can configure multiple network blocks in wpa_supplicant.conf and
allow wpa_supplicant to select which network to use based on which APs
are available.

>   My guess was that I should use the "Linux wireless extensions" driver
> on the wpa_supplicant command line...this is what I get (sorry if this
> is a bit long; I'm not sure what's relevant).  "GuestAccess" is the
> ESSID of the access point I'm trying to associate with; it's wide-open
> (ie, no WEP/WPA/etc).  The return of the prompt at the end of the output
> is the result of my having pressed Ctrl-c.

Can you please try the same with more verbose debugging enabled (add -dd
to the command line)? I've newer used rt2500 with wpa_supplicant, so I
don't know what to expect as far as supported functionality is
concerned.

> ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Operation not supported
> WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported

These are most likely okay to ignore. The driver does not seem to
support some of the WPA/WPA2 extensions, but they should not prevent
plaintext mode that you were trying here if I understood correctly.