Prism2 usb and wpa

Michael Gross michael.t.gross at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 04:24:12 EST 2006

Hello,

I want to connect my laptop computer to a wpa protected wlan. So far I
have been using the wlan-ng driver, but that does not enable me to use
wpa, so I tried to install hostap since it is mentioned by
wpa-supplicant to be a valid driver for cards with prism2 chipsets.
The hostap Readme states that hostap does Not support the usb versions
of  prism2.5 and prism3 cards. It does not, however, mention
prism2_usb cards as being unsupported. The question is: does hostap
work with my prism2 usb card, and if it does, what do I need to do to
get it running (is there a howto?) - and if it does not, is it planned
to be working in the next version of hostap, or do you know how I
could get wpa support with this card?
The card model is WL-383F (??SparkLan??). AFAIK it has a Prism2
chipset and although it is a built-in card it seems to work as a USB
device (the fact that it is working with wlan-ng at least seems to
point to that).
Sincerely

Michael