Association Problems. (WPA_Supplicant 0.5.1 + Madwifi-ng20060210)

Chad Meister chadlich at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 12:20:30 EST 2006

Well, if your looking for a stable version of
madwifi-ng, I'm using svn version r1437 on GNU/Linux
kernel 2.6.13.1.

I'm relatively happy with it.  I run it on my laptop
in sta mode and my desktop on ap mode.  I've managed
to get it to work in open mode (no authentification),
WPA-PSK (without hostapd).  Using hostapd, I've
managed to almost get WPA2 or WPA Enterprise.  It uses
CCMP for key exchange and authentification was is
performed using EAP-TLS using a Radius server.

Even though I've enable CCMP, instead of TKIP, I don't
 think it's a genuine RSN setup, but some sort of
hybrid , maybe TSN. (wifi alphabet soup).  This is
because I can't set the hostapd.conf variable: wpa=1.
It only works as wpa=0.

I think this is some sort of bug in hostapd, but there
is a workaround patch for it, I think, at madwifi.org.
 Don't quote me on this.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that I
can't get my dhcp server to dispense ip addresses
between wifi cards (even non-madwifi). But this may be
some firewall problem.

So aside from the questionable WPA2 support and the
dhcp problem, I'd recommend it (Again both these
problems may be my fault).  It's stable in terms of
connectivity and uptime.  Setting up this network,
however, has been a labor of love - it took me weeks.

Chad