Sometimes ap_scan=2 and sometimes not...

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 12 23:34:22 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 06:37:42PM -0500, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> I have installed the same kernel/wireless extensions/ieee stacks
> as in my "regular" linux on my internal drive. I have a IPW2200
> wireless board.
>
> My router is set for WPA AES ( it is a linksys 54G ) and is
> set not to broadcast the ssid.
>
> With my regular linux I do not have ap_scan=2 and connect at
> boot time with no problem.

This should not really find the AP unless something else is setting the
SSID, e.g., with iwconfig, since you have disabled SSID from Beacon
frames.

> With the new system I had to add the ap_scan=2 in order to connect.
>
> Is there any rational reason for this behavior?

Maybe you configured the SSID in the old system somewhere else and a
start up script is setting it and thus making the driver know about the
AP even without wpa_supplicant requesting this when configured in
ap_scan=2 mode.