Rate mismatch with Devicescape IEEE 802.11 stack and reported encryption methodes in beacon

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Aug 22 22:22:59 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 09:18:13PM +0200, Olivier H wrote:

> I'm currently testing the rt2x00 driver (http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com)
> wich use the devicescape stack in master mode with hostapd.
> I had a few issues regarding the rates (always slow in G mode)
>
> The problem is that in driver_devicescape.c/i802_set_rate_sets() the mode is
> set by HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211*
> And then back in the stack in
> ieee80211/ieee80211_ioctl.c/ieee80211_ioctl_set_rate_sets() the mode is
> compared to MODE_IEEE80211*

Hmm.. that should not be the case. hostapd is supposed to use HOSTAPD_*
internally and convert it into MODE_* whenever interacting with the
driver code.

> And both are different:

Yes, by design.

> So when i run hostapd in G mode, the stack will assume B mode.
> So the easiest way to solve this is to set the hostapd values same as in the
> stack:
>
> typedef enum {
>    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211B = 1,
>    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211G = 3,
>    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211A = 0,
>    NUM_HOSTAPD_MODES = 3
> } hostapd_hw_mode;
>
> What do you think of that? Can it be include in next release?

No, that is not acceptable. The correct fix would be to change
i802_set_rate_sets to convert mode parameter to use proper enum when
talking to the driver.

> Then an another issue i get with my Intel(r) PROSet/Wireless Software
> v10.1. I
> can't sucessfully associate to the AP when WPA is enabled.
> It was working with the v9.

Did I understand this correctly: You were able to use Intel client
software version 9 with the AP that is running hostapd, but when
changing to Intel software version 10.1 (and without modifying AP) the
connection does not work?

> The problem is that the encryption for the network is reported as
> "WPA-entreprise" (sorry in french, i don't know if the english name is
> different)
> But In fact it's "WPA-Personel", no username or whatever needed, just the
> passphrase or PSK.
> So the new version only want to be in the mode that the network told him.
>
> Is this a knowed issue? or can you tell me where this information is send so
> i can see what i can do.

I haven't heard this before. Could you please send your hostapd
configuration file? If you can easily capture wireless frames, it would
also be interesting to see what exactly is in the Beacon and Probe
Response frames sent by the AP.