Rate mismatch with Devicescape IEEE 802.11 stack and reported encryption methodes in beacon

Olivier H olivier.ho at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:18:13 EDT 2006

Hi everyone, i'm new on this mailing list.
I'm currently testing the rt2x00 driver (http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com)
wich use the devicescape stack in master mode with hostapd.
I had a few issues regarding the rates (always slow in G mode)

The problem is that in driver_devicescape.c/i802_set_rate_sets() the mode is
set by HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211*
And then back in the stack in
ieee80211/ieee80211_ioctl.c/ieee80211_ioctl_set_rate_sets() the mode is
compared to MODE_IEEE80211*

And both are different:

enum {
    MODE_IEEE80211A = 0 /* IEEE 802.11a */,
    MODE_IEEE80211B = 1 /* IEEE 802.11b only */,
    MODE_ATHEROS_TURBO = 2 /* Atheros Turbo mode (2x.11a at 5 GHz) */,
    MODE_IEEE80211G = 3 /* IEEE 802.11g (and 802.11b compatibility) */,
    MODE_ATHEROS_TURBOG = 4 /* Atheros Turbo mode (2x.11g at 2.4 GHz) */,
    MODE_ATHEROS_PRIME = 5 /* Atheros Dynamic Turbo mode */,
    MODE_ATHEROS_PRIMEG = 6 /* Atheros Dynamic Turbo mode G */,
    MODE_ATHEROS_XR = 7 /* Atheros XR mode  */,
    NUM_IEEE80211_MODES = 8
};

typedef enum {
    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211B,
    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211G,
    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211A,
    NUM_HOSTAPD_MODES
} hostapd_hw_mode;

So when i run hostapd in G mode, the stack will assume B mode.
So the easiest way to solve this is to set the hostapd values same as in the
stack:

typedef enum {
    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211B = 1,
    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211G = 3,
    HOSTAPD_MODE_IEEE80211A = 0,
    NUM_HOSTAPD_MODES = 3
} hostapd_hw_mode;

What do you think of that? Can it be include in next release?

Then an another issue i get with my Intel(r) PROSet/Wireless Software v10.1. I
can't sucessfully associate to the AP when WPA is enabled.
It was working with the v9.
The problem is that the encryption for the network is reported as
"WPA-entreprise" (sorry in french, i don't know if the english name is
different)
But In fact it's "WPA-Personel", no username or whatever needed, just the
passphrase or PSK.
So the new version only want to be in the mode that the network told him.

Is this a knowed issue? or can you tell me where this information is send so
i can see what i can do.

Thank in advance
Olivier