wpa_supplicant authentication wpa_ie_len=0 problem

Piotr Zawadzki pzawadzki at polsl.pl
Fri Apr 14 09:50:24 EDT 2006

Dnia piątek, 14 kwietnia 2006 14:53, Michelasso napisał:
> Hello everybody,
> I am running Kubuntu linux 64bit on an Acer Aspire 5024 (Turion64
> based) with a Broadcom 4318 wireless card built-in. Kernel version is
> 2.6.12-10-amd64-k8 and I have built form source wpa_supplicant-0.4.8
> (I have previously removed the ubuntu package, that is still at
> 0.4.5 version).
> When I try to use wpa_supplicant, I cannot associate to the ap, a
> Zyxel 660HW-61 adsl router with wireless capabilities, because I
You need WPA support both in card and wireless router.
Probably your router does not support WPA or WPA is not configured.

> continuously get this problem:
> root at eagle:/opt/wpa_supplicant-0.4.8#wpa_supplicant -Dndiswrapper
> -iwlan0  -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w  -K -dd
>
> [...]
> Received 312 bytes of scan results (1 BSSes)
> Scan results: 1
> Selecting BSS from priority group 0
> 0: 00:13:49:66:1c:d0 ssid='casamao' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
This means that card does not see Information Element in beacons so
wpa_supplicant in convinced that network does not support WPA or WPA2.
>    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
> No suitable AP found.
> [...]
>
> And so on. As a remark, you can see I am using ndiswrapper since my
> kernel doesn't support the new broadcom driver.
>
> When I try to do a scanning request I get:
>
> wlan0     Scan completed :
>           Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:49:66:1C:D0
>                     ESSID:"myessid"
>                     Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
>                     Mode:Managed
>                     Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
>                     Quality:0/100  Signal level:-38 dBm  Noise level:-256
> dBm Encryption key:on
>                     Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:6 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:9 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:12 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:48 Mb/s
>                     Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
>                     Extra:bcn_int=100
>                     Extra:atim=0
>
> That is I cannot see any 'Extra:wpa_ie=' line, that seems a necessary
> feature to authenticate with the ap.
>
> Am I out of luck, or is there any possibility to have wpa_supplicant
> HostAP mailing list
> HostAP at shmoo.com

Piotr Zawadzki, Silesian Technical University
PGP: http://www.keyserver.net/