Hostap and kernel 2.6.16.x

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Apr 8 02:16:56 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:50:39PM -0400, Richard Farina wrote:

> I recently upgraded my kernel and found that hostap-driver-0.4.7 doesn't
> seem to compile against kernel 2.6.16 and higher.

Host AP driver is now included in the mail kernel tree and external
package should not be used.

> No problem I say, I'll use the in kernel hostap, but modinfo says that
> is version 0.4.4-kernel (which seems to me is old)
>
> Can someone please explain what's up with this? Is the hostap
> 0.4.4-kernel acctually newer than hostap-driver-0.4.7 (that's what the
> gentoo folks imply), or what's going on?

0.4.4 is just the version of the hostap-driver package that was used as
a starting point for the kernel tree merge. The version in the kernel
tree is newer than any external hostap-driver release.

> If the kernel driver is newer, great, I'm all for updates, but if it's
> not, what is the status of getting hostap-driver-0.4.7 or newer working
> of kernel-2.6.16.x?

There are not plans on supporting Linux 2.6.16 or newer in external
hostap-driver releaes. The driver included with the kernel tree should
be used instead.