Why wpa_supplicant succeeds but no encryption?

henri henriwang2003 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 05:48:54 EDT 2005

Hi all,

i use wpa_supplicant 0.4.5 with

Mandrake 10.1
PCI card Avaya orinoco gold (chipset atheros)
openssl 0.9.7d

so i download madwifi driver and wpa_supplicant, with EAP-TLS.
l run
wpa_supplcant -w -c /etc/wpa.conf -D madwifi -i ath0 -B

then with

dhclient ath0

it gets the @IP.

But the pb is, when i capture the frames with tcpdump, nothing is encrypted after the initail EAP authentification! all my ftp is visible, etc.

I had the same pb with WEP key too, even when i set WEP key with the card, the connection is not crypted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

henri