RSN pre-authentication environment

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Nov 12 12:04:13 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:39:08AM +0800, superd wrote:

> I use preauth_test to check

> ========== hostapd.conf ====================
> interface=ath0
> rsn_preauth_interfaces=rl0

The configuration files looked fine and a similar test on my Linux test
setup works.

> Using interface ath0 with hwaddr 00:11:95:f4:cf:63 and ssid 'wmnet'

> > ./preauth_test wpa_supplicant.conf 00:11:95:f4:cf:63 fxp0

Please note that the MAC address used here is likely to differ from the
MAC address of the rl0 interface. If rl0 is filtering frames based on
the MAC address, it will likely drop the RSN pre-authentication frames
since they are going to a foreign address.

On Linux, I see similar behavior when the rsn_preauth_interfaces are not
in promiscuous mode. Once I configure them for promiscuous mode, hostapd
starts seeing the pre-authentication frames and debug log shows "RSN:
receive pre-auth packet from interface...".

I don't know how FreeBSD netif is normally configured for this kind of
case, but you will probably either have to configure it for promiscuous
mode or if possible, add the MAC address of the wireless interface to
list of RX addresses for the wired interface.