ioctl error

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Nov 9 23:39:35 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:06:44AM +0100, Lasse Riis wrote:

> I've left out the in-kernel 80211 subsystem and I have the following
> versions of things (a combo reported to work on the ipw2100-list):

> ap_scan=2

Have you tried this with ap_scan=1?

>          group=TKIP WEP104 WEP40

That is actually invalid configuration for ap_scan=2 (only one option
allowed). However, I don't think that has anything to do with the issue
you are seeing.

> One in a hundred times or so my wpa-setup will actually function. That
> means come up, obtain an IP-address and actually work. But usually only
> for an hour or less. (I've recognised no pattern of causes in the
> outages). This part of the problem i'm not sure i can blame on wpa_sup
> or my Linksys WAP54G, but so far I'm blaming the latter.

Those are not the only components that need to work together, i.e., the
driver would need to be added to the list of potential reasons.

> However once I get kicked off, or just at most other times, starting wpa
> will fail. Running it manually reveals this ioctl error:
> ioctl[SIOCSIWFREQ]: Operation not supported

I don't remember whether ipw2100 works with ap_scan=2. I have only used
ipw2200 driver and always with ap_scan=1 (i.e., wpa_supplicant using
scan requests).