promiscuous mode only, using hostAP.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue May 17 22:43:33 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:24:10PM -0400, Andrea G Forte wrote:

> I am writing a small sniffer with hostAP as wireless driver. My problem
> is that it seems that putting the interface wlan0 in promiscuous mode is
> not enough for sniffing packets. Do I have to put it the card in monitor
> mode as well?

Which packets do you want to receive? If you want to get all IEEE 802.11
frames, you do indeed need to put the card in monitor mode.

Host AP driver does not support promiscuous mode because of issues I
have seen with some firmware versions. Anyway, the promiscuous mode
would not likely give you all the packets you were interested in..