wpa_supplicant, madwifi and WEP?

Gonzalo Diethelm gonzalo.diethelm at diethelm.org
Wed Mar 30 19:16:28 EST 2005

Hello, first post here.

I'm using linux 2.6.8 (debian unstable), and my WiFi card is:

0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc.
AR5212802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

The madwifi driver is from CVS as of today. This is my wpa_supplicant
configuration (the XXX values are there to protect the innocent):

network={
        ssid="XXX"
        scan_ssid=1
        priority=50
        auth_alg=SHARED
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=xxxxxxxxx0
        wep_key1=xxxxxxxxx1
        wep_key2=xxxxxxxxx2
        wep_key3=xxxxxxxxx3
        wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

The scan_ssid is there because this network does not broadcast its SSID;
is this the right approach? (At least it did allow me to find the AP and
try to bind to it).

Now, when I run wpa_supplicant in debug mode it does find the AP and it
does bind to it, but the WEP keys are never passed on to the card, and
therefore the card eventually unbinds from the AP. Here is part of the
log I'm seeing:

Trying to associate with 00:4f:62:00:00:2a (SSID='ovislink' freq=2437
MHz)
Cancelling scan request
Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
Overriding auth_alg selection: 0x2
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_key: alg=WEP key_idx=0 set_tx=1 seq_len=0
key_len=5
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_key: alg=WEP key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0
key_len=5
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_key: alg=WEP key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0
key_len=5
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_key: alg=WEP key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0
key_len=5
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
wpa_driver_madwifi_associate
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_wpa: enabled=0
Setting authentication timeout: 5 sec 0 usec
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=ForceAuthorized
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b1a len=21
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b15 len=20
Wireless event: new AP: 00:4f:62:00:00:2a
Association event - clear replay counter
Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=00:4f:62:00:00:2a
Associated with 00:4f:62:00:00:2a
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=1
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state S_FORCE_AUTH
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state IDLE
EAP: EAP entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state IDLE
Cancelling authentication timeout
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'ath0' added

After that final line, I do a iwconfig on the card and it does show the
correct AP MAC address and ESSID name, but the encryption key is off.

Can anybody give me a hand here? Am I misconfiguring wpa_supplicant? Is
perhaps this mode (WEP with encryption) not supported?

Thanks in advance, and best regards.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm at aditiva.com