WPA-PSK + hidden essid + ipw2200 1.0.4 + wpa_supplicant 0.4.2 problem

Samuel Díaz García samueldg at arcoscom.com
Mon Jun 20 19:49:15 EDT 2005

Hi guys, this is my config:

* Debian 3.1 (stable)
* kernel 2.6.12 with some patches:
  1) imq
  2) some patch-o-matic
  3) orinoco rfmon
  4) swsusp2
* iptables 1.3.1 with the same kernel pom patches
* wpa_supplicant 0.4.2
* ipw2200 1.0.4 with some patches:
  1) geography patch (needed for my country=Spain)
  2) mode_sw_reset patch (I use kismet and others)
  3) ethertype patch (for compile under 2.6.12)
* ipw2200 fw 2.3 (obviously)

Preface:
  1) All patched, compiled and installed fine.
  2) I use a hidden essid AP with WPA-PSK (TKIP+AES)

The problem:
  1) I use wpa_supplicant with a working wpa_supplicant.config file (tested
with current madwifi drivers in the same machine without problems).
  2) My ipw2915 appears to negotiate fine the connections but disconnects
always (no more than 2/3 seconds connected to the AP).
  3) After 5 or 6 attemps, no more attemps detected.
  4) dmesg say me after that:
Jun 20 23:33:09 sdg01 kernel: ieee80211: eth1: Unknown management packet: 0

I think the problem isn't wpa_supplicant, because is working fine with
madwifi, the same wpa_supplicant.config file and the same AP on channel 13.

With wpa_supplicant 0.3.8/0.3.9 and ipw2200 1.0.3 (I don't remember patches
applied against this now) it works after a command like:
  iwconfig eth1 channel 13
Without more problems.

Taking a tour over ipw220 bugs, I found many patches expected to be merged
into 1.0.5, but I can't apply all (or I know the correct order to apply
all).

I'm experienced the same problem with a broadcasted essid with WEP keys (and
another wpa_supplicant config file). I used configs files as "Wireless
networks profiles" to use easy scripts.

Any sugestion/patch/idea on how to solve the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Samuel D�az Garc�a
Director Gerente
ArcosCom Wireless, S.L.L.