still having problems w/ hidden essid

Charles Griffin cngriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:47:27 EDT 2005

> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:24:45 -0700
> From: Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>
> Subject: Re: still having problems w/ hidden essid
> To: hostap at shmoo.com
>
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:49:25PM -0400, Charles Griffin wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get my dell 700m with internal dell 1450 a/b/g
> > wifi card to connect to my router when the essid broadcast is
> > disabled.  I tried this earlier on an apple extreme base station with
> > no luck.  I am now trying it with a linksys wrt54g and still no luck.
> > Everything works fine and wpa works great if essid is broadcast.
>
> > WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 30 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 2
> > WPA: using GTK CCMP
> > WPA: using PTK CCMP
> > WPA: using KEY_MGMT WPA-PSK
>
> Are you using CCMP or TKIP as the encryption algorithm?
>
> > Here is my wpa_supplicant.conf:
> >
> > ap_scan=2
> > network={
> > ssid="myessid"
> > proto=WPA
> > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> > psk="mypsk"
> > }
>
> Please read the comments about ap_scan=2 mode in the example
> wpa_supplicant.conf file. This mode requires that the encryption
> parameters (e.g., pairwise_cipher) are set explicitly whereas your
> configuration file is allowing all cipher suites and is likely to cause
> problems if you do not happen to use the most secure one.
>
> --

Jouni,

Ah, I do apologize.  I should have read that more carefully.  Yes,
that did the trick.  I am using TKIP so my new wpa_supplicant.conf now
reads:

ap_scan=2
network={
ssid="myessid"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise:TKIP
group:TKIP
psk="mypsk"
}

All is now working perfectly and essid broadcast is disabled.  I am a
very happy camper.  :)  Thanks, Jouni!!

Charles