Wireless Communication Between two APs?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Jun 5 14:53:29 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 08:51:08PM +0200, Jon Schuringa wrote:

> Thanks for the reply! I will try to express myself better.
> With "managed" I mean "iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed".

That mode configures the card in client mode where it requires an access
point. I don't know what you mean with "AP" in this case, if you are
saying that this card is an AP when set to Managed mode.

> And yes, I want to send something before starting the WDS link. The
> protocol I work on selects which APs should setup a WDS link. This is
> based on certain criteria and needs to be negotiated between the APs.
> The APs also learn the other AP MAC address in this process, which is
> then used to setup the WDS link.

You need to be more explicit on what you mean with different terms. I
have not been able to follow exactly what you are trying to configure
and whether you have devices in access point (iwconfig wlan0 mode
master) mode. If not, the two clients (your "managed mode APs") do not
talk with eachother at all..

> Now, maybe my question has not directly to do with HostAP, but in my
> program:
>
>    int sendto(...); and
>    int recv(...);
>
> Do not work between two APs using wlan0. (It works over a WDS link)
> Is this normal behaviour? If yes, could I use management frames to do
> the job?

Again, I don't know what you mean with AP in this context.