wpa_sup & hostap kernel driver

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Dec 20 21:20:34 EST 2005

Morgan Read wrote:
> I've recompiled and used wpa_sup 0.4.7 from source re Bryan's comments -
> used the "defconfig" rather fussing with examples in Readme.

Does the defconfig file actually include the features you need?

The defconfig file is (as I understand it anyway) just a template -- you
need to know which features you actually require, and then make sure
that those features are enabled when you build wpa_supplicant.

> ((Except, now I get:
> [morgan at morgansmachine ~]$ wpa_cli status
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> ???))

Whatever you set for the ctrl_interface in the config file doesn't exist
for some reason.  Are you sure defconfig didn't have the control iface
code disabled?  Are the two ctrl_interface parameters still in the
config file?  It looks like it, based on the output below...  is wpa_cli
perhaps using a different config file?

> 1st starting wpa_sup after interface is up;

This seemed to produce better results, I think.  (Though I should say
that I don't use wireless on Linux, so I don't know for sure.)

> State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
> Starting AP scan (specific SSID)
> Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=3):
>      75 6f 61                                          uoa
> Wireless event: cmd=0x8b19 len=8
> Received 174 bytes of scan results (1 BSSes)
> Scan results: 1
> Selecting BSS from priority group 0
> 0: 00:11:92:da:cf:40 ssid='uoa' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
>    skip - no WPA/RSN IE

Ehh?  I see this below, too (in the other setup) -- is that right, are
you using just plain old WEP?  Even with keys handed out by the RADIUS
server, it's not very secure...

> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state RESPONSE
> EAPOL: txSuppRsp
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state RECEIVE
> RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wifi0' added
> RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
> EAPOL: startWhen --> 0
> EAPOL: authWhile --> 0
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state TIMEOUT

Almost looks like the AP never gets (or discards) the Response-Identity
frame?  Normally it should come back with some sort of EAP frame,
basically asking the supplicant "prove you're that entity, please".