wpa_sup & hostap kernel driver

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Tue Dec 20 18:16:13 EST 2005

Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:56:28AM +1300, Morgan Read wrote:
>># wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w
>>ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
>

> This seems ot be saying that there is no wlan0 interface. Could you
> please verify whether 'ifconfig -a' shows that interface? Does 'dmesg'
> show wlan0 being added (couple of lines from the Host AP driver in
> kernel log)?

Apologies for the slow response - Summer Break down here, so not spending
much time at University.

I've recompiled and used wpa_sup 0.4.7 from source re Bryan's comments -
used the "defconfig" rather fussing with examples in Readme.  Seemed to
produce better results.

((Except, now I get:
[morgan at morgansmachine ~]$ wpa_cli status
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
???))

Attached are annotated outputs from two scenarios (wpa_sup debug output is
at end) - 1st starting wpa_sup after interface is up; 2nd starting wpa_sup
before interface is brought up, which approximates my situation as I start
wpa_sup from rc.local at boot.  Each produces different results re apparent
connectivity, and neither authenticates etc.  Also, attached fyi relevant
dmesg and hostapdiag outputs.

Regards,
Morgan.

--