Driver events explanations?

Bob Carlson rjc at sigpro.com
Fri Dec 16 19:52:58 EST 2005

I am well along in implementing a new driver interface, but I am having
some trouble figuring out the expected sequence of events.

I am trying to get PSK working right now. I know that the real driver is
supposed to associate in the clear first (open system.) The "data port"
should remain disabled at this point. The association is then used to
obtain transient keys with a 4-way handshake. Then the keys are installed,
the station is disassociated and then re-associated, this time with
encryption running.

What I can't quite figure out is the sequence of actions in the supplicant
that lead to this.  I have the scan working and wpa_s picks the right AP
from the scan results. Now, it is calling the driver's Associate command
with parameters that describe the WPA-PSK-TKIP type connection. Is the
driver supposed to carry out the associate, 4-way, disassociate,
re-associate as one operation? Is the Associate event supposed to be posted
only when the encrypted association is complete?

Cheers, Bob