changing PDA doesn't work

Max Grabert parisc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:06:11 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using the latest CVS of hostap and was playing around with
different firmware versions. My experience so far is that using
version 1.7.4 of the secondary firmware seems to result in
slightly more stable connections and offers minimal more
throughput than both 1.8.0 and 1.8.4 (at least for me,
using a Netgear MA-311)..

Anyway, while browsing the www to look for the differences
between the different firmware versions I stumbled across
this forum post:

http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2005-February/022594.html

As I purchased my card from the U.S. but I'm living in the EU I
wanted to take advantage of the two additional channels that
are allowed here (the card is currently limited to 11 chans; 0x07ff)

I followed the description how to proceed precisely, and as I also
use the same firmware there is basically no difference in the
commands being used.

However I can't unlock the additional channels by replacing the
value '07ff' with '1fff' in the PDA text file. Also changing the
default channel in the PDA doesn't work.
A subsequent 'prism2_srec -D pda' reveals that the PDA is
always unchanged, regardless wether using RAM download or
flashing the firmware.

Adding a '-v' option doesn't reveal any error and the PDA text file
seems to be used properly, e.g. it mentions that it uses default
values for PDRs not mentioned in the PDA text file etc.
(I can post the full output if desired)

Any suggestions how to track down the error?
As mentioned before, flashing firmware works fine, it just seems
not to write the customised PDA.

BTW, I'm using a rather exotic hardware:
HP9000/C3000, PA-RISC CPU in 32bit big-endian mode, running
Debian Linux (testing), 2.6.12 kernel. Perhaps this could be an issue?

Thanks a lot in advance for any hints,
   Max