0.3.9 host_roaming mode 2 failure

Kelly Hogan kshogan at linora.com
Thu Aug 11 08:18:28 EDT 2005

We are having a problem getting hostap 0.3.9 to allow host_roaming 2
mode.

Whenever we set it to host_roaming 2, we can not get the card to
associate onto any known APs.  We must be missing something simple.
Using host_roaming mode 1 works fine, but we want to be able to select
which AP to associate with.  We end up with the essid set, but the AP is
all 44's.

Anyone that might have a working mode 2 script would be helpful.

Linux 2.6.11.7
hostap v 0.3.9
STA FW 1.8.4 and 1.4.9
WE18 WT27
MP2511Plus in Soekris 4511

Script:

#/bin/bash
dev=wlan0
ifconfig $dev up
prism2_param $dev host_roaming 2
sleep 1
iwconfig $dev mode managed
sleep 1
iwconfig $dev essid any
sleep 1
iwlist $dev scan
sleep 2
iwconfig $dev essid testap
sleep 2
iwconfig $dev ap 00:02:6F:35:2E:5A
{This ap is known to be working and allowing connections}

Results:
# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"testap"  Nickname:"testap"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
44:44:44:44:44:44
          Bit Rate:2 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-73 dBm  Noise level=-73 dBm
          Tx excessive retries:200  Invalid misc:2109   Missed beacon:0

any help would be appreciated.

KH