Wireless Extensions v18 and Hostap-Driver v0.3.7

Tony Espy espy at pepper.com
Thu Apr 28 12:22:30 EDT 2005

I recently upgraded to the hostap-driver v0.3.7.  Now when I run
'iwconfig' it outputs the message:

'Warning: Driver for device wifi0 recommend version 18 of Wireless
Extension, but has been compiled with version 15, therefore some driver
features may not be available...'

Jeanne Tourrilhe's Wireless Tools page states that this warning can be
safely ignored.

We're running a MontaVista CEE kernel based on 2.4.20 with some 2.6
features backported and the v15 WE patch.

A couple of questions:

(1) Is there any way of surpressing this message short of hacking the
iwconfig code?

(2) What's the current state of WE version 18?

(3) Are there any major gotchas in trying to bring our kernel up to a
later WE version?  Are there any major advantages in picking up a later
verion of WE ( ie. post v15 ).

Thanks,
Tony Espy
Pepper Computer