[Fwd: How can I check the power output of the wireless card in the accesspoint???]

Afsaneh Sattari asattari at site.uottawa.ca
Tue Oct 19 19:03:16 EDT 2004

Hello,

Would you pls help me to know how I can check  the power output of the
wireless card linksys in the accesspoint using  hostAp driver.

The reason is during my test I ahve noticed that the receiver computer
does  not receive the signal  while the distance goes further than  34
meter. I have checked and tested and verified that the reason is not
because of line-of-sight or atenuation due to the corner in corridor. I
was thinking that because the access point we are using
was"artificially" created (with a PCMCIA wireless card, a linux computer
and software) instead of using a real access point, maybe the power
output of my access point is lower than the one from a real access
point. I suspect that´s the case because the wireless card is intended
to be used in a pc computer and must use minimum power (which is a
constraint in the computer). To check this, I have to verify the power
output of my PCMCIA wireless card and compare with the power output of a
real access point. Do you have any idea that might help me in this issue .

Thank you very much
Afsaneh