wpa_supplicant-0.2.5, ipw2100 and (Shared-key) WEP

Jim Seymour jseymour at linxnet.com
Tue Oct 19 13:14:08 EDT 2004

jseymour at linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) wrote:

> Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 15:57, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if wpa_supplicant will ever handle non-broadcast SSIDs?
> >
> > Did you try setting ap_scan=1 in your wpa_supplicant.conf?
>
> I used the WPA-HOWTO-script.sh recommended for getting wpa_supplicant
> working with the ipw2100.  It has that set.  I used the resulting
> wpa_supplicant-test.conf configuration as the base for my config.
>
> So: Yes :)

Following-up to myself again...

Same laptop, distro, etc., only doing WPA-PSK to NetGear FWAG114.  Do
an "ifdown eth1," turn off SSID broadcast on the AP, try "ifup eth1" -
no go.  Turn SSID broadcast back on at the AP, "ifup eth1" and all's
well.

Relevant bits from my wpa_supplicant.conf:

------------------------- begin included text --------------------------

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
network={
        ssid="cccccccc"
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
        group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
        psk="ccccccccccccccccccccccccc"
        priority=2
}

Somebody mentioned to me in IRC last night that wpa_supplicant wouldn't
work against APs with SSID broadcast turned off.  Such would appear to
be the case.

Jim