hostapd strange shutdown

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Oct 12 23:39:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:05:52AM -0700, nondito wrote:

> I am using hostapd-0.2.4 and freeradius 1.0 for my
> WiFi clients to authenticate with hostap-driver-0.2.4.

> everything works as expected, the only problem is
> after sometime clients would call and ask there is no
> link.
>
> I search through the machine by "ps" and I see that
> there is no hostapd process running.

> Can anyone tell me how to stop hostapd for suddenly
> die like this?

Sounds like a bug somewhere. Please first upgrade to 0.2.5 which fixes
couples of problems (mainly in WPA/IEEE 802.1X reauthentication). If the
same issues happens with v0.2.5, it would be useful if you could run
hostapd with core dumping enabled (e.g., ulimit -c unlimited) and in a
directory with enough space for a core dump file. If hostapd is indeed
crashing, it would be very useful to get some information from the core
dump file (e.g., backtrace with gdb).