How to get the beacon frame in managed mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Nov 25 09:55:37 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:34:46PM +0800, Ip wilson wrote:

>         It work well when I switched the card into monitor mode and master mode ! But I cannot get
> anythings for the beacon frames in managed mode. I am interested to know whether it is possible to get
> the beacon frame for my positioning system when the card is in managed mode. It 's because I am
> building some location-aware application project and the user should probably use the managed mode to
> join some AP.

Yes, this information is needed for WPA, too, and the latest station
firmware versions (1.7.x and newer) have option for allowing the driver
to receive Beacon frames. The current version of the driver (both
0.3.x and 0.2.x branches) use this whenever WPA mode is enabled (by
running wpa_supplicant and manually with "iwpriv wlan0 wpa 1").