IEEE 802.1x with dynamic WEP doesn't work in hostapd CVS

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 13 16:01:00 EST 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 01:07 pm, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 12:28:07PM -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:
> > Using a different supplicant is okay for me (running Linux where I have a
> > choice), but I have a client computer that runs Windows XP and uses it's
> > builtin supplicant to authenticate. Will using the new EAPOL version
> > break the WinXP builtin supplicant? It could not authenticate either with
> > the CVS version of HostAP. Unfortunately, either the XP supplicant
> > doesn't log errors at all or I don't know how to get to them.
>
> Well, there are other IEEE 802.1X/WPA supplicants for WinXP, too.. ;-)

If there's a free one I'd like to know about it. Most that I know of are part
of a server package (like Meetinghouse AEGIS)

> If the builtin supplicant is implemented correctly, it should work with
> different EAPOL versions. The latest test version of the Microsoft
> supplicant worked fine the last time I tested it. Which version of the
> supplicant are you using?

Test version? I wasn't aware there was more than one version. I know they
updated the supplicant to include WPA support some time back, but I didn't
know it had been updated since then. How can I tell what version I'm using?

> Btw, WinXP has tracing option for EAPOL which does indeed log errors
> into a file.. You will need to set EnableFileTracing to 1 in WinXP
> registry My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\EAPOL
> and the log file will be written to %windir\tracing\eapol.log.

That's helpful to know! I'll have to remember to do that next time, thanks.

> If nothing else works, you can change hostapd to send packets with
> previous EAPOL version number by changing EAPOL_VERSION definition in
> hostapd/ieee802_1x.h from 2 to 1.

Hope that won't be necessary.

Andrew