IEEE 802.1x with dynamic WEP doesn't work in hostapd CVS

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Nov 13 13:07:56 EST 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 12:28:07PM -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:

> Using a different supplicant is okay for me (running Linux where I have a
> choice), but I have a client computer that runs Windows XP and uses it's
> builtin supplicant to authenticate. Will using the new EAPOL version break
> the WinXP builtin supplicant? It could not authenticate either with the CVS
> version of HostAP. Unfortunately, either the XP supplicant doesn't log errors
> at all or I don't know how to get to them.

Well, there are other IEEE 802.1X/WPA supplicants for WinXP, too.. ;-)

If the builtin supplicant is implemented correctly, it should work with
different EAPOL versions. The latest test version of the Microsoft
supplicant worked fine the last time I tested it. Which version of the
supplicant are you using?

Btw, WinXP has tracing option for EAPOL which does indeed log errors
into a file.. You will need to set EnableFileTracing to 1 in WinXP
registry My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\EAPOL
and the log file will be written to %windir\tracing\eapol.log.

If nothing else works, you can change hostapd to send packets with
previous EAPOL version number by changing EAPOL_VERSION definition in
hostapd/ieee802_1x.h from 2 to 1.