bridge_packets 0 and bridge

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 31 23:54:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:06:12AM +0200, Karel Rericha wrote:

> with 2.6.3-4 kernel and hostap 0.2.0. In shorewall's "interfaces" file I
> have specified
> "routeback" option, to enable traffic between eth0 and wlan0:
>
> loc   br0   detect   maclist,routeback

Do you have a pointer to explanation of "routeback" option? I'm not
familiar with Shorewall and do not know what to expect from that
configuration.

> all traffic between wlan0 clients disappear. I looks like "routeback" is
> routing only between
> different interfaces, and not from wlan0 back to wlan0.

Linux bridging code does not send packets back to the same interface, so
unless Shorewall has a patch for this part, setting bridge_packets=0
will break the direct connection between associated clients. The change
to Linux bridging code should be minimal, but these have not yet been
included in the kernel distribution.