Association Protocol Supported Rates

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed May 19 02:15:23 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 10:33:21AM +0530, Anand S. Katti wrote:

> Now I fixed the rate to 5.5 Mbps at the client side and then observed the
> Probe req,res, Asso REq and Asso res. Then i observed the above packets
> for the supported rates. The probe req contained 5.5 Mbps in
> supported rates field since i forced it. But no Asso Req went from the
> client side.

That configuration is likely to not work with any normal AP. IEEE 802.11
requires that the station supports all basic rates of the AP. In most
IEEE 802.11b APs the basic rate set is {1}, {1, 2}, or {1, 2, 5.5, 11}.
In other words, if you remove 1 Mbps from the support rate set of the
station, it will not associate with any of the APs with the basic rate
sets listed above.