trying to configure a DWL-500

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue May 18 18:17:03 EDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Roberto De Leo wrote:

>>   Have you tried "irq_mode=0" already?
>
> sure, since the beginning I've been using that option plus some other I found
> around, e.g. "pci_csc=0" and booting with  "pci=biosirq", but nothing really
> helped.

It's good to know you have tried.

>> You have interrupt problems.
>
> indeed I guessed so, in the PC where everything works fine the card has been
> given IRQ 5 and no problem ever showed up, here for some reason I get IRQ 19
> and this odd behaviour. Probably the MB has some quirk? It is a dual CPU MB,
> maybe this collides somehow with the Ricoh card?

It's possible.  For the interrupt, see /proc/interrupts and "lspci -v".

As for the motherboard, it's possible too.  First of all, please try to
use a clear port area, such as 0x0c00-0x0cff, in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.
Please note that posts between 0x100 and 0x3ff modulo 0x400 are less safe
than the 0x00-0xff range modulo 0x400.  Don't even think of using the
0x100-0x3ff range - it's a minefield :-)

Enable PNPBIOS either in the kernel or in pcmcia-cs and use lspnp utility
from pcmcia-cs to see if any the ports overlap with ports in /proc/ioport
(use "lspnp -v").  Unfortunately, the kernel doesn't reserve all PNPBIOS
resources automatically yet.

See if your motherboard is missing in drivers/pci/quirks.c in the Linux
kernel while similar IDs are present for some quirks.

I would not exclude hardware problems too.  If you can, try another PCMCIA
card in the adapter and your PCMCIA card in another adapter.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin