IFF_RUNNING and SIOCGMIIPHY support

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Mar 3 21:37:26 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:46:48PM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:

> In which case that is not at all what I want.  What I want it the equivalent
> of a ppp link.  A simple connection between two places, with an IP address
> at each end, and status telling me whether the link is up or down (and
> as a bonus what bandwidth it is running).

PPP is point-to-point, so is WDS.. There is no standard mechanism for
detecting the status of the link, so you would need to implement that
separately, e.g., by pinging the other end of the WDS link. You can use
WDS both to bridge (layer 2) frames and to route IP packets (just assign
IP addresses to WDS devices).

IBSS/ad-hoc is not point-to-point (even though it can be used for this).
Neither does it provide any standard mechanism for link status.