IFF_RUNNING and SIOCGMIIPHY support

David Goodenough david.goodenough at btconnect.com
Wed Mar 3 17:46:48 EST 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 14:32, shogunx wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, David Goodenough wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Yes, I know. What I'm saying is that this is NOT what IEEE
> > > 802.11 Ad-Hoc mode is about, so don't expect it to match your
> > > requirements. I think WDS mode would be a better fit, because WDS
> > > explicitely specify the end of the PtP link.
> > > 	Regards,
> >
> > I have obviously missed out on WDS.  Could you point me to a good
> > definition of WDS and its use.  Google turns up hundreds of products
> > which provide WDS.
>
> WDS is another logical link that allows Access Point nodes to speak to one
> another.  So you wind up with another ip network that only AP's can see.
> Very useful for network management purposes.  The WDS frames are
> essentially a "dark network" from the perspective of client nodes.
>
> Please see
> http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/WirelessDistributionSystem
> for more details.
>
> Scott
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
> >
> > > 	Jean

In which case that is not at all what I want.  What I want it the equivalent
of a ppp link.  A simple connection between two places, with an IP address
at each end, and status telling me whether the link is up or down (and
as a bonus what bandwidth it is running).

I have no interest in linking Access Points.  Or can I separate out the
two functions?

David