Install Hostap in Fedora Core 2

AP-Research HostAP-Research at maxrack.net
Mon Jun 21 00:34:30 EDT 2004

<quote who="Amal Al Hajeri">
> Hi  All,
>
> Am trying to configure the intel WLAN 2100 adapter in my Dell Latitude
> D600 Laptop with Fedora Core 2 installation , for that, one of the
> requirements is to install hostap. I managed to execute the 'make'
> command sucessfuly after i copied the kernel .config file as follows:
>
> cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/
> cp configs/kernel-2.6.5-i686.config .config

I'm not sure you will achieve success using the kernel-2.6.5-i686.config
unless you compile it and boot it (Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, I
haven't verified it yet).  You should use the .config which was used to
compile the kernel you are CURRENTLY running.  I deduce from the following
lines that you should be using /boot/config-2.6.5-1.358.

> I then changed the kernel path in the Makefile to be:
>
> KERNEL_PATH=/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/build/

...will this work??? I'm not a kernel hacker, but according to all the
docs KERNEL_PATH should point to /usr/src/linux-<version>.  If this will
work then it might be a shortcut to avoid recompiling the kernel source
tree in preparation for hostap make.  I'm interested in results of this...

> Execution of 'make' command:
>
> hostap-driver-0.1.3]# make
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/build/
<snip>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358'

... illustrates my earlier comment about KERNEL_PATH

> When i do 'make install' i get the following error:
> Module installation directory not valid:
> '/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358custom'
> Most probable cause for this is modified kernel headers.

Edit /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/Makefile and remove "custom" from
EXTRAVERSION = -1.358custom

--
Regards
RescuNET.com