DWL-650P and PCMCIA bridges

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sat Jan 24 01:19:59 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:24:19PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > It appears that the problems I see with DWL-650P are closely related to
> > the PCI-to-PCMCIA bridges.  DWL-650P works fine with hostap_cs in the PLX
> > adapter using the plx9052 driver
>
> There may be some timing related issues somewhere.. Anyway, it looks
> like DWL-650P1 works fine in my laptop with TI PCI1250 controller. The
> only problem I'm currently aware of is in doing something else (like
> running iwconfig or ifconfig on the same interface) seems to be able to
> mess up with download commands. I just fixed some cases, but it is
> likely that something similar can still happen.

Yes, I also think it's timing related.  These tests were done with the
same card on 3 different systems.  Only one of them exhibited problems.

Processor             Bridge     Result

Athlon 1.1 GHz        TI 1410    OK
Pentium III 800 MHz   TI 1410    timeouts
Pentium III 800 MHz   Ricoh      cannot find PRI firmware
Pentium III 800 MHz   PLX        OK
Cyrix MediaGX         Ricoh      OK

> Another obvious issue is in reading the COR value. This seems to fail in
> some cases that have been reported on the mailing list. Getting wrong
> COR value will make pretty much everything fail afterwards.. It might be
> worthwhile to change the driver to read COR value only once in the
> beginning and then use the stored value in future sreset/genesis resets.

Maybe, but I think this problem should be solved after you increased
timeouts in COR reset to 2ms.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin