A couple beginner questions ..

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Jan 22 12:53:46 EST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Mark G. Spencer wrote:

> In the documentation for hostap, it mentions "However, the orinoco_cs
> driver in current 2.4 kernel tree or pcmcia-cs package or linux-wlan-ng
> is probably better supported solution for cases that do not use Host AP
> mode." .. Could someone elaborate on that for me?  Does that mean
> supported in the community or technical sense?  Now that I compiled
> hostap from scratch, it works great on my SuSE system.  I'll probably
> switch to hostap on my other machines soon.

It means that if you want to use your card as a station and not as an
access point, you could try another driver if the HostAP driver doesn't
work as expected.  Actually, I believe that sentence is obsolete.  The
HostAP driver works fine in all modes and supports more features.

> Also, I was curious if people are using two Prism 2/2.5/3 PC Cards in
> the same laptop simultaneously with hostap?  I'm going to borrow a
> second Prism 2.5 based PC Card soon to see how that would work for
> wireless -> wireless bridging.

It should be OK.  There is one exception that should be fixed.  If you use
one of the new flashless cards, you have to specify "no_primary=1" for the
module.  This setting is global and it will affect other cards.  As is
stands now, you cannot use flashless and normal cards in the same system.
Flashless cards are D-Link DWL-520 revision E and DWL-650 revision P.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin