Automatic channel select feature

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Mon Feb 23 16:11:01 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Manu Gallego wrote:

> I was wondering if hostAP implements an automatic channel select feature
> in the sense that it chooses the channel with the least amount of
> interference and highest signal strength.  I read some postings from a
> while ago, and it was said that it does some form of this in
> host_roaming mode 1, where it performs automatic scanning.  The question
> is whether it only scans channels and associates with the AP providing
> the best signal strength? What if I specify the MAC address of the AP I
> want the clients to connect to? ( in my project, I am supporting raoming
> between 2 linux boxes running hostAP)  Does it then pick the channel
> with least amount of noise to connect to this particular AP?  Either
> way, could somebody please tell where this feature is implemented. (ie.
> the file name)

As far as I can see, this function is not implemented in the driver. The
firmware may support it (although it may be implemented in tertiary
firmware only, I don't know).  Look for "HFA384X_INFO_CHANNELINFORESULTS"
- it's only used in the header file and there is no code using it.

For information how to implement it see
http://home.kpnqwest.cz/jt/wifi/RM0251.pdf
items 4.4.2.2.28 and 4.4.5.2.3

> Also, I was wondering if hostAP has any kind of a system safety tool(ie.
> watchdog timer), what it checks for, and where I could find its
> implementation in the code.

Look for "hostap_tick_timer".  In fact, looking for "watchdog" would give
you that function.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin